POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Is the "File Open" dialog box missing a few file types? : Re: Is the "File Open" dialog box missing a few file types? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:27:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is the "File Open" dialog box missing a few file types?
From: Rune
Date: 17 Sep 2001 15:18:06
Message: <3ba64c6e@news.povray.org>
"Chris Cason" wrote:
> I've already added .mcr since I believe it is
> becoming fairly common.

Sorry, but I think this is perhaps not such a good idea.

If it is added there should be a definition of what it means; some kind of
standardization. What if a file has both macros and other things, should it
then be an .inc or a .mcr ? And should .mcr mean one macro only, or could it
also contain several?

The truth is that it's very difficult to make any meaningful standardization
of this that is also useful. Users can never be sure that .inc files won't
contain macros, and neither that .mcr files will be strictly macros only, so
in reality there'll be no added benefit of supporting this extension.

Furthermore none of the official files have the .mcr extension, and that of
course is strange if the format is really officially supported. We could
change the extensions of some of the official files, but I for one wouldn't
know which (because of the beforementioned issues).

I think that all the new extension really does is to clutter up the
extensions, force users to memorize yet another one, cause confusion and so
on. Ask yourself if there's any real reason to add it.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated June 26)